Sunday, July 19, 2015

Is this a Crime that is not Commonly Prosecuted?

   I see the Planned Parenthood controversy has prompted a congressional investigation. That is good. It should.
   But, I have not heard of an investigation by law enforcement. Why does this not warrant an investigation by the Department of Justice, or one of the federal agencies?
   Why not?
   Perhaps it has. Perhaps I just haven't found the right news story to let me know. Still, it seems if an agency investigation had been launched, the news I'm seeing would have reported it.
   When we get word of a possible crime, we investigate it, don't we? Murder, theft, larceny, arson -- when there is reason to suspect any of those things has occurred, our agencies rush to investigate. So, why not illegal abortions? If an official with Planned Parenthood spoke of crushing the bodies of fetuses in a manner that is not legal, that is a crime. It should be investigated the same as murder, theft, larceny or arson. 
   If the Planned Parenthood official spoke of receiving fees ranging from $30 to $100, that, too, suggests crimes might have been committed. The body parts of fetuses cannot be sold. We have a law against that. There can be payment for expenses, but if the payment provides a profit, it is illegal, And, $30 to $100 leaves me wondering if the expenses are being overcharged.
   I wonder how many prosecutions there have been since the law against partial-birth abortions went into effect in 2003. Surely there have been times the law has been broken. Surely there have been offenses. I wish I knew a link that told me how many there have been.
   I wonder if this is a crime that commonly is not prosecuted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment