Saturday, July 25, 2015

A Fourth Opened the Door Uninvited and Stepped In


   Let the immigrants in unimpeded, and our country will be overwhelmed, overpopulated, and our resources stretched to the breaking point. So the argument goes.
   For my part, though, I do not like the thought of locking them out just because they are poor, just because they are in need. It would seem that as much as any of the people wanting to come here, the ones in need should be ushered in first.
   For that very reason: because they are the ones in need.
   Let's say you were the sole gatekeeper to America's doors, and you made the rules and whatever you said, went, and you invited applications, and received back three, and the applicants came and stood before you, each begging you to choose them, and you felt you only had room for one.
   "Pick me," said the first. "I want to come to America to learn your language, and to see the sights, and to enjoy your pastimes."
   "Pick me," said the second, "I want to come to get an education, and then return to my homeland all the better for it."
   "Nay, pick me," said the third. "I want to come to America to become rich. Yours is the land of opportunity. Pick me and I will make you proud."
   But, then, a fourth person opened the door, uninvited, and stepped in. "Forgive me, sir," she said. "I have heard you might help me. Things are not well for me in my home country. I am hungry and homeless and have a child on the way. Is there anyway you can help me?"
   Which would you pick?



Take up all the talk of how the immigrant strains


I tend to think our fear of overpopulation is over valued. There would be strains, if we were to let in those who were poor. Already, many are upset with how much money must be spent on the welfare of immigrants. For my part, though, I do not like the thought that we are locking them out because they are poor, because they arrive in need of help. Rather than banning the needy, I think it better that we should find a way to help them help themselves, I believe we should take them in and provide them work.

I also think of how California, home to the gold rush, became one of the most prosperous of states. I wonder if, to some degree, the economic result of immigration is reflected in the ambitions for which they come, the purpose for which they come. If they come seeking to be industrious, you reap prosperity. If they are seeking welfare and someone to care for them, you do not reap prosperity. That said, I do not like not helping them. See the paragraph above.

No comments:

Post a Comment