Monday, November 2, 2015

Hospice is a Word and it's also an Industry

   Has the word "hospice" been stolen, in a way?
   I don't know how long the term has even been in use, but I imagine it has been around for some time, referring to care for those who are about to die, who are terminally ill. Obviously, caring for them is a wonderful thing. And, so, then, to be able to say you are providing hospice places you in good standing.
   So, somewhere back there, there came the creation of a new industry. They decided to charge money in exchange for providing care for those about to die, for those terminally ill. Hospice, they called it.
   That's what they provide, hospice care, so they are using the correct term. As I understand their program, two doctors (the patient's attending doctor and one provided through the hospice program) must certify that the person is going to die within six months, and therefore, instead of treatment aimed at curing them (I believe they renounce their right to that), they receive only palliative care -- comfort and such.
   It occurs to me I haven't learned if all insurance companies insure their clients with hospice. I don't know that it is a benefit that Blue Cross and all the others provide to their customers. I do know, though, that it is available through either Medicaid or Medicare, but am not sure if it is both that offer it.
   Is hospice just a government program, or do private insurance companies also pay for it? I should call some insurance companies and ask if they provide it.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hospice

http://www.nhpco.org/history-hospice-care


No comments:

Post a Comment