Tuesday, November 10, 2015

'Valor' had me Wondering

   Putting out a glossy magazine saluting Utah's veterans and the military just out of having a desire to honor them is a wonderful thing to do.
   I must confess, when I saw the "Valor" magazine arrive as an insert to my Deseret News Sunday, I was sceptical. Here news earlier in the week had disclosed that major league sports teams were accepting federal money to host tribute nights honoring the military.
   So, a glossy 45-page magazine with no more advertising than that on the back cover? How, then was it paid for?
   So, today, I called up the magazine and asked them. I figured the marketing director would be the person to ask, but we were playing phone tag, so I called back and asked if there was someone else who could help me. The receptionist (I think her name was Janet) asked if she could help, so I ran my inquiry by her.
   "It's basically just a service we did for our readers," she said. ". . . Once in a while, we do that without making a profit on it."
   So, no money from Uncle Sam?
   "We wouldn't do that," she said.
   The marketing director (Jed Call) and I hooked up a little later, and he verified that the magazine didn't use federal money.
   I was left feeling a little sheepish. When someone does a good thing, out of the goodness of their heart, and then someone wrongfully twists it into something bad . . . Well, I should apologize when I make such a mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment