Sunday, April 3, 2016

I Would have had Some Rich, Meaningful Experiences by Now

   I listened with great interest to Elder Patrick Kearon's talk in General Conference today. My understanding is that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not trying to dictate immigation policy -- not trying to direct governments on when or if refugees should be accepted -- but it is calling for church members to help those in need..
   I think it wonderful.
   I also see that I, personally, should be looking for something to do. I remember how a couple or so years ago, I almost became a mentor for youth refugees here in Salt Lake. That was through Catholic Charities. I didn't go through with the application, partly because I had questions about a form I was asked to sign.
   At any rate, I wonder what I now could do. I wonder about recontacting Catholic Charities. I wonder -- as I did then -- if being a mentor would be too time consuming. I also consider on the rich experiences I would have had by now if I had gone ahead with the work back then. This was when there was the crisis of children immigrants flooding across our southern border, and some of those children were ending up here. I could have been helpful That would have been good.

No comments:

Post a Comment