Saturday, April 16, 2016

Church or Government Shouldn't need to Take Care of the Poor

   I do not understand homelessness, nor extreme poverty, nor hunger in America.
   I don't understand it in Utah.
   There shouldn't be a need for church, or government or even charity. No, not to take care of the needy. It seems that every time a person was spotted homeless, someone would come along to invite them into their home. And, every time a person was spotted begging, someone would come along to feed them.
   Every time -- at least every time the needy person made himself visible. You can't help the poor, if you don't know who they are, but if you do, and if you have the resources, then you help them.
   Yes, I think we are that kind of people, both as Utahns and as Americans.
   I think of a church hymn. It will be sung tomorrow in meetinghouses across this state. "I cannot see another's lack and I not share -- my glowing fire, my loaf of bread, my safe shelter overhead." I don't believe those are words uttered without intent, without being meant. I believe those who sing them, mean them.


No comments:

Post a Comment