Friday, April 22, 2016

Our Political System is a Playground for Hate

   Is there any activity that drips with more hate? If you were to want to be part of hate, or feel it, or to have opportunity to express it, could you pick anything better to be involved in than politics?
   I sit down at my computer with a news story I read yesterday still open. "Rep. Kraig Powell ends campaign to avoid 'divisiveness," says the headline. I couldn't help but wonder if he had felt the fangs of hate, and was pulling back in defense.
    The thought rushed to my mind: This is not a good political system, that it elicits us to so much hatred. How can anything be noble and honorable, while fomenting such hatred? Or, is it not the system, but the people who play in it?
   If we were to seek to redo our society -- reform it -- surely our political system would have to be touched. I do not know if a simple tweaking would work. Perhaps. I only say, that to have a great and wonderful society, our political system as currently practiced would have to be addressed. It is a weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment