Thursday, April 21, 2016

We Must Audit our Spending in the Military Sector

  It's the return of the Cold War. One day I read Russia is buzzing our ships and within days I read Russia is expanding its submarine fleet, aiming its presence in places where it can contest American and NATO dominance.
   Sabre rattling.
   And, it causes me to wonder if we should not match any military buildup. Of top, I suppose we must. And, off top, it makes me wonder about the national deficit. We cannot afford to go further in debt, but it seems we cannot afford to not match Russia in military might, either.
   I think of how I have said everyone should be allowed health insurance, even if it means raising the national debt, for people are dying, and I am with those who say you do not let someone die for lack of money to save them. You save them, then worry about the bill.
   But, with health care, I see things we can do, that might reduce the cost of that care. What of defense spending? Are there things we could do to lower it, also? Is it possible to have a defense contractor without many executives? Would that save any money, even if we were able to persuade the existing companies to lay off the fat at the top, or if we were to persuade new companies to form with a dearth of executives, and they only frugally paid? Can the cost of component parts somehow be reduced?
   I think we must find ways to lower the expense of our defense industry. Audits are in order, looking at where the money is going and whether the processes involved can be done less expensively. I think it is imperative that we do this. We simply cannot continue to run up a debt, yet it is perhaps also true that we simply cannot afford to be outmatched militarily. It should be an urgent thing, then, that we audit our system, audit defense spending, and find ways of holding expenses down.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment