Monday, December 30, 2019

In Search of Something Nice to Say

   Mother looked up at me. "Son, it's been way too long since you said anything nice about Donald Trump," she said.
   I told her I just didn't have anything to say -- nice, that is.
   "You need to try," she said. "You need to love everyone in this world, and that would include the Donald. I just don't know how else you are going to show any love for him if you can't figure out something nice to say."
   "How about if I just said I loved him?" I asked.
   "That's a start," she said. "But if you say something positive about him, that might be even better. People who love others say nice things about them."
   "Let's see. He did give a good Christmas message, from what I hear," I replied. "And, I love Christmas messages."
   "He always gives good talks, doesn't he?" Mom said.
   "Hey, that's cheating," I said. "You're taking away good things I could say by beating me to them."
   "And, he presents himself in such a way, that a lot of Christian leaders back him. So, there must be something there," she said. 
   "What do you think about the way he treats people at the border?" I asked.
   She ignored my question.
   "Well," I said. "The economy might still be doing pretty good. And, he does seem to be a fan of Israel. Now, on climate change . . ."
   She gave me another mean look, and I knew she was going to tell me it was my bedtime.



No comments:

Post a Comment