Monday, November 30, 2020

Hydroelectricity Should not be Slighted

    I repent. The six most powerful power stations in the world are hydroelectric. We need hydroelectricity. Not long ago, I opined that the environmental concerns of many and the earthquake concerns of my own were enough for me to be against hydroelectricity. The dams can upset eco systems. And, I wondered if the weight changes they bring cause siesmic plates to shift, bringing earthquakes.

   Yes, I repent. The concerns are valid. They should be addressed. But, hydroelectricity is green energy. World-wide, it is abundant. If we are to reduce our carbon footprint, we should not turn from hydropower. As for causing earthquakes, does the weight of water really amount to that much, that it should weigh down the seismic plates and cause them to crack. Or, while the weight might seem much to simpletons such as I, is it relatively not that much?

   Many hydro systems do not require large reservoirs behind them.  To begin with, we should look to see if we can add a number of such dams, then go from there.

(Index: Climate change info)

No comments:

Post a Comment