Saturday, November 7, 2020

We are not Going the Right Direction with Power Plants in Utah

    Poking my head into power creation in Utah, I learn most of Utah's power comes from coal-fired plants. There are three coal-fired plants producing more than 1,000 megawatts. The only other plant producing at least 1,000 megawatts is a natural gas plant. 

  I would have thought geothermal plants were a larger component than they are. I learned the Glen Canyon Dam, which is at Lake Powell (one of the largest man-made reservoirs in the U.S.) has capacity to produce 1,320 megawatts. I do not believe any of the power generated there is used in Utah. No geothermal plant in Utah produces so much as 250 megawatts, with Flaming Gorge being the largest at 152 MG. A plant is proposed for Echo Park, which would produce 200 MG. 

   I can see large geothermal plants might not be the answer. They disturb the land too much. Water seepage creates water loss. They disturb the geological balance, I believe, and thereby can cause earthquakes. 

   We have been moving towards natural gas. Nor do I believe it the answer. Though its carbon dioxide levels are less, they are still significant pollutants. Plus, these plants release methane into the air. 

   We do have solar and wind plants, and I wonder whether those sources could provide us enough power. We also have a nuclear plant projected to be completed near Green River in 2030. I do not know its capacity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment