Sunday, February 5, 2023

Thomas Jefferson Suggested Rewriting the Constitution Every 19 Years

"Every constitution, then, and every law, naturally expires at the end of 19. years. If it be enforced longer, it is an act of force and not of right. " -- Thomas Jefferson

That's quite a quote. Going by that, the Constitution should have been replaced a dozen times by now. 

Why did Jefferson believe the Constitution (and all other laws) should only be good for 19 years? In his thought, one generation should not be bound by the past. Each generation has the right to create its own rules, to govern itself. One generation should not dictate to the next. You set your own rules and should not be subject to laws that others might try to impose upon you.

I will repeat, though, it is quite a statement. This is one of the most respected figures of all time. He is one of the founding fathers of this nation -- and he said that?

I will confess, I do not think it wise to rewrite the Constitition every 20 years . . . but Jefferson's quote makes me wonder. My thought is, there will be charlatans, and the more doors you leave open for them to walk through, the more of them who will seek to rule your house. I wonder if we could trust some of the politicians of our day. I think of the current generation of insurrectionists against America, and shiver to think they might be the writers of our Constitition.

One of them has called for, as recent as a few months ago, "the termination of all rules, regulations, and articles, even those found in the Constitution," as they apply to elections. He would rip the elections out of our hands and take control of them to ensure his own election -- all the while crying how he is just trying to make elections fair. This is a man I do not trust. If I have high regard for Jefferson -- and I do -- I have little respect for Trump. 

If the Constitution were to be rewritten every 20 years, could we find a way to avoid the danger of it being written by charlatans and would-be dictators such as Trump? I cannot imagine any way to do that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment