Wednesday, October 6, 2010

But, Should Immigrants Have Claim to This?

I sit and wonder, reflecting on the above blog, what an advocate of getting rid of undocumented residents would say. Most of them are very Constitutional minded, and lovers of the Declaration of Independence.

I mean them no ill will. Certainly, their view is that the Declaration does not at all call for turning illegal immigrants free. To them, a person who is breaking the law simply is not going to have the same liberties and rights as those who are keeping the law.

It's as simple as that.

Those who feel this way have as much right to believe they are correct as I have for holding to my opinion.

My reply to them, though, is to point out what the "illegal immigrant" is guilty of. He simply doesn't have paperwork -- and the reason he doesn't have it, is because we choose not to give it to him, or make it a years-long process to obtain it.

That is not right. A person wants to be an American, wants to pursue happiness and liberty here, and we say, "No, I don't think so. We really don't want you here"? That is denying them the pursuit of happiness. It is denying them the liberties that come with living in the United States, and denying them without cause. Keep out the law breakers, I say, but let the immigrants not guilty of breaking laws come on in.

"Certain unalienable rights"? Everyone, that tells me, should have these rights.

I do realize what I am saying. This means no one should be deprived of citizenship, should they want to immigrate to the United States. They can be punished for their crimes, and they can be returned to jurisdictions they leave behind for that punishment. Nor would I be against prosecuting them here for crimes they committed abroad, if evidence can be gathered. But, a man without crime should be a welcome soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment