Friday, October 1, 2010

I Oppose Abortion and Euthanasia

Got an email from a person wanting my stand on five issues.

Abortion: I oppose abortion, save for when the life of the mother is in jeopardy or a competent doctor determines the baby would die, anyway. I haven't fully come to a conclusion on whether I think abortions should be allowed in cases of rape and incest, but tend towards allowing abortion in those situations.

Euthanasia: I oppose bringing death upon someone, even though that person may be suffering an incurable disease. So, I oppose euthanasia. I believe family members should make the decision on whether life support systems are removed, and a person is allowed to die from natural causes.

Stem-cell research: I am not versed enough in what stem cells are to come to a definite opinion. I am against anything that ends the possibility of something becoming life. So, if we allow the stem cell to continue onward, and it becomes a living thing, then I do not favor ending it, whether that is called killing or pre-killing or whatever. The argument we hear in favor of stem-cell research is that these are stem cells that are going to be discarded in labs anyway, and, yes, I agree with the line of reasoning that, then, it is better to use the stem cell for research than to just throw it away. I find myself wondering why the stem cell is being taken from the mother to begin with, why it is that it is even becoming available for research.

Human cloning: I am not prepared to take a stand on cloning.

Same-sex marriage: I oppose it. I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. While homosexual relations are against what I believe, however, I believe in respecting the beliefs of those in these relations. I believe in treating them fairly and justly.

No comments:

Post a Comment