Friday, October 22, 2010

Time for a Definitive Study on Gays

Not much time passed after I entered the campaign race before emails started arriving, supporting gay rights. Of all the issues I wished to study, or express an opinion on, this was not one.

Of late, though, I find myself captivated. Still, as I sit to write this tonight, I reflect on what is probably the common opinion of those in District 41, that same-sex attraction comes by choice.

Now, as of today, I wonder.

I believe marriage should be between a man and a women, not between two of the same sex. That is not changing.

But, is sexual orientation decided at birth, with some being born gay and lesbian?

I posted last night, thinking as I wrote, suggesting if I were to allow my urges to be applied to males, if I were to choose to be gay, I would be. I thought to write, but didn't, that I surely would retain an attraction toward females, but I would acquire one for males, as well. And, from then on, should I decide to discard my attraction to males, I might not be able to, same as a person who smokes a cigarette says that even after giving up smoking, a desire always remains.

But, what say the scientists? Some studies say you can practice being gay, even though you are heterosexual, but you never develop an attraction toward your own sex. And, this: They say no gay or lesbian ever has changed their orientation, not a one.

"The Kinsey Institute has had an open offer for nearly 40 years to report on a single case of a true change in sexual orientation, not just behavior," I read at lionking.org. "In 40 years there has not been a single scientifically documented case of changed sexual orientation."

Is the Kinsey Institute correct?

I also became aware, for the first time, of just how it is many scientists have concluded sexual orientation, including being gay or lesbian, is hereditary. Dean Hamer and Peter Copeland, in a 1993 study, found the groupings of chromosomes to be more common in gay brothers than is normal. At least one study supported the Hamer-Copeland study, and another failed to duplicate its results.

Oh, and they say there is biological evidence. Gays emit different underarm odors, the ratio of the index and ring fingers are different, and gay men have greater density in their fingerprints, it is said.

Still, while studies are showing evidence, perhaps it isn't a definite thing. I don't know how old the post at about.com is, but it says, "The honest answer is, we think being gay is not a choice, but there hasn't been any conclusive studies to prove it."

For my part, I wish a definitive study would be launched. I hold with what the Bible says, but I would like science to do a definitive study, determining without any reservation where science stands on the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment