Thursday, October 21, 2010

On Domestic Partners Getting Insurance

Intermountain Healthcare today announced it will provide insurance benefits to the domestic partners of those insured with them. The benefits are to apply to both those who are lesbian and gay, as well as those who are heterosexual but unmarried.
How to I feel on this? I do not yet have an opinion. But I can tell you of the wrestle in my mind as I strive to come up with an opinion.

I first consider to tentatively have an opinion in favor of the move. While I believe marriage to be between a man and a wife, I consider that that does not necessarily mean domestic partners cannot have some of the rights and benefits as those who are married -- just as long as they are not considered a marriage.

Then, I think otherwise. If the reason for opposing marriages between those of same-sex attraction is that marriage is the bedrock of society, and we want to engender and encourage marriage to be be between a man and a wife, then this move encourages the domestic-partner relationships, as opposed to marriages between men and women.

My third swing it to think that gays and lesbians are not going to change their sexual orientation just to get the benefits, so why withhold the benefits from they for that reason? If the idea is to encourage marriage between men and women, will withholding benefits from them prompt them to become heterosexual, and thus marry someone of the opposite sex?

I will venture this: Although I'm told science says sexual orientation does not change, I wonder. I wish I could ask the experts if they have ever seen it change. I seem to think they have said, No, there is not a single case we are aware of where a person has changed their sexual orientation. I still wonder. I wonder if I were to open my urges to those of my own sex, would I become gay? I think I would. I think it would follow as night follows day, that if I chose to do it, I would become gay, thus having altered my sexual orientation, which I am told does not happen. Also, I do doubt there has never been a case where someone who was lesbian or gay went on to find themselves attracted to someone of the opposite sex. Has there never been a lesbian or gay who married the opposite sex, and felt attracted to the person they married? If so, even if they still found themselves also attracted to those of their own gender, it would mean it is something that can be altered. Everyone, regardless of their sexual orientation, has to -- or should -- resist attractions. The question is not whether attractions are before them, but whether they can be attracted to someone of the opposite sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment