Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Am I Passing on Opportunity to Speak Up Against Abortion?

Maybe instead of seeking their vote, I should seek to change their minds -- not about who to vote for, but about abortion.

I pass out 7-8 flyers, alternating them as I go door to door  . . .  and one of them is against abortion. Time after time, today, I came to a door and thought, "This is probably someone who favors abortion. And instead of giving them the abortion flyer which was at the top of the pile, I reached in and got a different one.

Which makes sense if I want their vote. But, I'll be lucky to get 5 percent of the vote. I'm not going to win. Maybe a better use of my time would be to try to change people's mind about abortion. I have a rare opportunity. A person cannot normally walk up to someone's door and try to persuade them to change their stand on abortion. "Oh, I'm just out trying to change everyone's mind on this. Hope you're not offended."

But, if the person out knocking doors is running for office on an anti-abortion platform, he has a reason to discuss the topic. It's an opportunity to persuade that rarely comes along.

In a way, trying to persuade them to change their minds is like crying repentance unto them, as a good portion of those who favor abortion are also those who have had one. (Some say 40 percent of all women will have an abortion at some point in their lives.) I do not say they have sinned. God be the judge of that. Those who have abortions have them for good reasons, and only God knows their heart, to judge them. But, I do know abortion is wrong, and I do know it would be good to persuade them against it, in hopes of reducing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment