Friday, October 19, 2012

Here's M'First Campaign Flyer


Vote for the Penniless;
Get Representation Money Can't Buy. 
   Okay, I'm not penniless. But my campaign is much poorer than those of the other two House District 44 candidates, Tim Cosgrove and Christy Achziger. I have chosen to not accept political contributions. As a result, I will not have the lawn signs and mailers (though robocalls are so inexpensive, I might use them) the other candidates have. The Beatles might have been persuaded money could not buy them love, but they should have tried running for public office without money. Money does buy votes. Being that as it may, I do not think it healthy that some of the same people who donate money turn up after the election seeking legislation, favors, if you will. I think of an out-of-state contractor who gave money to a candidate. Now, why would a person donate to a candidate in another state, to a person he didn't personally know, unless he hoped for a return on his investment? The candidate defended the system, saying there was nothing quid pro quo going on. I say, it remains wrong. This is your opportunity, should you wish to snap it up, to elect someone who will be every bit as good of a representative as the other two, yet who won't leave open the chance a political contributor will come knocking for a favor down the line, after the election.  I won't take that money, won't leave open the dilemma of whether the gift might influence my voting in the Legislature. Oh, and did I say an independent has never been elected to the Utah Legislature? In a day of great political rancor, why not make this the first time? Make your vote one that helps change history. George Washington warned against political parties, anyway. Whatever reason you might see for voting for the other candidates, these two causes are every bit as worthy. Vote for John Jackson, because ending influence from campaign contributions is important enough to elect someone who will not accept them, and because ending partisan politics is worth electing someone not affiliated with either party.
The Midnight Campaign of JOHN JACKSON
   Politicians are always scary, so it's appropriate the Halloween and election seasons coincide. So, I'll give my campaign a Halloween twist, too. Much of my campaigning will be during the night, as I frantically attempt to get out these scraps of paper before the bewitching hour. No lawn signs, no mailers? A candidate who is overlooked because he does not belong to the two major parties? (I got a phone call from a polling place, asking whether I was going to vote for Achziger or Cosgrove and not even mentioning me as a candidate.) In a way, I am the invisible one of the three -- a ghost of candidate. In the spirit of Halloween, vote for the ghost.
Call 1-801-566-4023 or visit the website newsasnewstravelsfast.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment