Tuesday, October 30, 2012


Different messages are on the back of these flyers. If the one you receive either  resonates or upsets, and you want to discuss it, call 801-566-4023. Leave a message, as the ringer is off, and I will call back.

John Jackson for House District 44

You've heard more from my opponents, Tim Cosgrove and Christy Achziger, but I beg your vote, as well, and suggest you might like me more than either of them if you are not against significant, beneficial change. Now, electing an independent would be significant, of itself. Although more Utahns register as independents than as Republicans and Democrats combined, never has an independent been elected to the Utah Legislature. If you should like, change that, make history. The father of your country warned against parties, anyway. Second, it would be significant to elect someone who is not accepting campaign contributions. I just don't think it good that sometimes the very people who contribute are waiting in line after the election, wanting legislation that will favor them. I won't take their money. If I don't take the money now, I won't have to worry then whether I am being influenced by a desire to return a favor. We have campaign disclosure laws because we can see this danger. If such a practice (taking money from those who want influence) is wrong, then elect someone who won't take the money. You will get just as much of a prudent, thoughtful, reasonable and well-reasoning public official in me as you will in the other candidates. So, why not vote for me? Do it, and feel good about this being the reason you picked me to vote for. It can be argued by other candidates that they are not going to be influenced by any of their contributors, or that while they take contributions, they are not going to take it from any who would harmfully influence them. I can only say that even the most benevolent of causes should be supported without the influence of money. Now, not taking money leaves me the poorest of candidates by far, but perhaps I would not have received many contributions anyway, as many contribute solely based on whether you are Democrat or Republican. At any rate, please vote for me despite the lack yard signs and mailers.


Changes? Would it be significant if we changed it so you could vote for anyone you want in Utah? Surprise, surprise, you can't do that, right now. If you write in a vote, it has to be for a write-in candidate registered with the state. Otherwise, your vote will be trashed.  I will work to change that.

Changes? I don't know how the other candidates stand on abortion. I would only be guessing they are against it. I can only say, you can elect someone who opposes it, but who might not be planning to do anything about it, or you can elect someone who will, and perhaps in a very meaningful way. 

Changes? Would it be significant to overhaul the prison system? Significant changes should be made, big enough changes that I don't know whether I would muster the votes to bring them about. Still, I will try, and if the bill does pass, Utah will be the better for it. I believe every prisoner should work, should have a support system providing love, and should be retrained in life skills and good behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment