Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Day 1 Advertisement Still Haunts Me

I expect I'll vote for Mitt, but among the things making me uneasy is that oft-mentioned thought that on the first day, he will issue an order to kill Obamacare.

Not that I don't want Obamacare repealed. I do. But, not by executive order. Would someone, some choice journalist, get Obama to define if that is what he meant. Because if it is, I'm not sure I want to vote for him.

Government by executive order is not the government I signed on with, not the one our nation signed on with back when the Constitution came out.

Let's go back to that advertisement from Romney, back in May.

Video text: "What would a Romney presidency be like?"
Voiceover: "What would a Romney presidency be like?"
Video text: "Day 1"
Voiceover: "Day one, President Romney immediately approves the Keystone pipeline, creating thousands of jobs that Obama blocked."
Voiceover: "President Romney introduces tax cuts and reforms that reward job creators, not punish them."
Voiceover: "President Romney issues order to begin replacing Obamacare with commonsense health care reform."
Voiceover: "That's what a Romney presidency will be like."

Maybe I'm overly fearful, but that does sound like he might be thinking of an executive order to stop Obamacare. Of course, after the ad, the Supreme Court upheld most of the provisions of Obamacare. Responding to that, Romney still said overturning Obamacare would be a day one job, but now he was saying he would "act to repeal" it, which might mean seeking congressional approval of the action. Acting to repeal indicates the setting of a process in motion.

The two quotes I found at from right after the Supreme Court decision were:

"The Supreme Court may have made their decision, but the American people haven't. Day one. Job one. Repeal ObamaCare."


And, “What the Court did not do on its last day in session I will do on my first day if elected President of the United States and that is I will act to repeal Obamacare.”

I'm thinking Romney will go the congressional route, but that ad way back in May still haunts me.



http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/mitt-romney-would-face-tough-road-trying-to-repeal-obamacare-if-elected-president/2012/07/10/gJQAh4nmaW_story_1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment