Monday, September 2, 2013

Can Peace be what We Seek in Going to War?

   So, you'd think this is my decision, so much thought am I giving it. To war, or not to war? This is the question.
   I come to remind you tonight that we might be looking at a limited engagement. We might just . . . well, the thought has occurred to me, we might just go in and surgically remove Bashar Assad. Saddam Hussein? Osama bin Laden? We've targeted the head man before.
   I do believe we should consider what will happen if a new government comes in, and try to ensure the people there will not only have more freedom, but more security from war. I believe peace should not only be an objective, but perhaps the strongest objective. I do not see the carnage of future war as something we should look past. If we are to intervene, it should be with an eye on bringing peace.
   If we are to be concerned about the 1,400, or however many, who lost their lives to chemical warfare, should we not also consider the lives yet to be saved? If the value of lives is our reason for entering a war, it should be the commodity we seek to have obtained when we exit the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment