Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Wish I Knew More about the Capture of Maaloula


   Because it is said it is the oldest Christian community in all the world, because it is said it is the only place on earth still speaking the language Christ probably spoke, I wish I knew more about the Syrian rebels' capture of this city the past week.
   Maaloula, high in the mountains above Damascus, what value is it to them?
   Did the rebels simply place a military presence there, claiming a town that to that point had been ignored by both sides? Or did they battle government forces there, taking it away from them. Why were many of the Christian residents forced to flee? Did they flee to get clear of the battle between the rebels and the government forces? Or did they flee in fear of the rebel forces?
   There is another "because" causing me to want to know more about the rebels' takeover of Maalula. Because I would like to know if the rebels are good guys or bad guys, I'd like to know more about their capture of Maaloula.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865586164/Syrian-conflict-targets-historic-Christian-city-where-Aramaic-is-still-spoken.html

No comments:

Post a Comment