Monday, September 30, 2013

The Right Version of Government Shutdown Might have Merit

   I wavering in my opposition to shutting down our government. It is now two hours into that shutdown, and our nation will be debating it come the morning sun.
   The shutdown, as presently constituted, I remain tentatively against.
   I have warmed to the idea of some shutdown, though. I have not studied enough to have a good thought on what it will do to our economy, and defaulting on our loans. I do not favor defaulting, for if we have bills to pay, we should pay them.
   But, if defunding a program means we don't take out the loan to begin with, well, I kind of like this idea. I think there are a lot of things I'd like to see defunded. And, shuttering a few government offices -- just some -- might be a way to cut into our deficit.
   I have been one of the few who likes the Sequester. If we pick and choose what we are defunding, what we are shutting down, and pick only things we have not already taken out loans for, then this could be Sequester II.
   Only bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment