Sunday, September 1, 2013

Thought Two from David O. McKay on War



   The same talk by David O. McKay that I quoted in the other blog I just posted, also includes this:
   "War impels you to hate your enemies.
   "The Prince of Peace says, Love your enemies.
   "War says, Curse them that curse you.
   "The Prince of Peace says, Pray for them that curse you.
   "War says, Injure and kill them that hate you.
   "The Risen Lord says, Do good to them that hate you."
   I love this quote, these thoughts, as when we reflect on them, we can see these attitudes of cursing the enemy and wanting to hurt and injure others do exist in the hearts of those who are overly quick to embrace war.
   Elder McKay went on to say:
   "Thus we see that war is incompatible with Christ's teachings. The gospel of Jesus Christ is the gospel of peace. War is its antithesis, and produces hate. It is vain to attempt to reconcile war with true Christianity.
   "In the face of all this, I shall seem inconsistent when I declare that I uphold our country in the gigantic task it has assumed in the present world conflict, and sustain the Church in its loyal support of the government in its fight against dictatorship."
   Elder (later to be President) McKay then offered other thoughts, including the one I blogged of moments ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment