Monday, September 23, 2013

'Read My Lips: No New Tax Cuts'

   This is not a small matter, to me, our federal deficit. I wish we had a politician brave enough to say, "Read my lips. No new tax cuts." And mean it. But, instead of moving towards balancing the budget, we are moving towards expanding it into brave new worlds.
   Obamacare: With 48 percent of the currently insured estimated to be in line to each receive $5,500 tax cuts, what are we thinking? How much does the average taxpayer pay? I word searched, but could not find out. I only know $5,500 will be a sizable chunk to be chopping of half the taxpayers.
   Food Stamps: The number of recipients has doubled since 2007, and no less than one in seven are now on Food Stamps. Can we sustain placing so many people on the federal government's tab?
   School lunch: A new program, the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, could bring free lunches to the larger share of all students. Every student in the qualifying schools will be fed at the federal government's expense. The program is to be effective throughout the nation in the 2015-2015 school year. The HHFK, if I might call it that, might have a modest beginning -- only $4.5 billion now -- but I do wonder but what that might increase.
   So, those are just three of the things I know are happening to our federal budget. With how great of a need there is to decrease our budget, I lament to see such programs forcing us the other direction.
   Well, No new tax cuts needs to be only part of the solution. No new federal programs? Perhaps we cannot ban any new program, but for the large part, yes, no new programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment