Tuesday, July 4, 2023

I Will not Reduce My Patriotism to a Love of Guns

Patriotism, to some, includes displaying a gun. Open carry -- where you wear the gun out where everyone can see it -- is but a show of allegiance to the flag and the principles upon which America was founded.

Most don't go that far. But just having a gun, to many, is a show of patriotism. The Second Amendment gives the right to keep and bear arms, so they take that to mean they will be conducting an act of patriotism if they go out and buy a gun.

Guns = patriotism; patriotism = guns. That's what America is taught.

Which brings up the question: Can I be a patriot if I don't like guns? What if I simply think they encourage violence and accommodate those who commit murder? What if I say, yes, there should be restrictions on guns and how people go about getting them?

Do we say I am not supporting the Constitution, then? Do we question my patriotism, my love of country, and allegiance? Some might even go so far in their condemnation as to suggest I am spitting on the grave of every soldier who has died on the field of combat.

I believe in America. I love America. I'm grateful for the Constitution and the founding fathers and all they stood for.

But, no, I don't see anywhere in the Constitution -- or the Declaration of Independence -- anything that says I must lavish my adoration on the gun. I will bow to my God, and stand and salute the flag, but I will not pay homage to the tool bringing so much death and destruction upon our land.



No comments:

Post a Comment