Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Send that Dog to a School that Will Teach Him to Disobey

   That dog has got to go. It doesn't matter if it is a Pit Bull, a Rottweiler, or even a beloved German Shepherd, get rid of it. It can kill people.

   Okay, maybe I go a little too far. I don't guess we need to exterminate all Boxers. But, hey, we need to do something about them. There are 4.7 million dog bites each year, and I would guess that's just the reported ones. Only 16 people per year are killed. You decide if that is not enough to worry about. And, we should take into account not only the physical harm, but the mental trauma that is inflicted.

   Spank that dog all the way to the dog pound, and then euthanize it.

   Okay, once again I go too far. A dog is man's best friend; have I forgotten? Even the most vicious dog has a mild and loving side. Err, maybe.

   One thought is to simply do a better job of training. As is, there are some owners who train their dogs to attack. The dog becomes like a gun -- an instrument of death. Tell me you don't know someone who has bought a dog to defend themselves. That's fine, but it needs constraints. A dog is not like a gun, where you can say, guns don't kill, people do. Dogs kill. That 16 people a year might not be enough for you, but it's enough for me.

   Some dogs are raised to be guns, so to speak. They are raised to attack, to maim, and to harm -- all in the name of defending the owner. Somebody breaks into your home, you ought to be allowed to sic your dog on them, right?

   Okay, but teach the dog in obedience school to not attack unless the person is wielding a gun or a knife. I've been told by gun -- I mean dog owners -- that obedience schools teach exactly that. I wonder.

   Hey, it's not just obedience-training these dogs need, it's disobedience training. They need to be trained when not to attack -- regardless whether their owner is instructing them to assault someone. 



No comments:

Post a Comment