Wednesday, July 5, 2023

My Aim Is True

The gun is the enemy. I have it in my sights and, if I could, I'd knock it right out of its barrel. Shoot it dead.

I just don't like the gun. I'm sorry. I know some tie it to patriotism. Many figure gun rights are what the Revolutionary War and patriotism are all about.

The gun: the guardian of freedom.

I don't see it that way. I see gangs killing each other off. I see friends and family killing each other off. I see mass murders, and suicides, and school children being killed.

I see John Wayne and Clint Eastwood on TV and want to kick them in the pants for making the gun so popular. We follow our icons and do what they say. Our heroes lead, and we follow. And then along comes the NRA. The NRA says go out and buy a gun, and we obey.

I've got something to say to all that.

My aim is true
Or at least if it were, the gun would be through
I'd shoot it dead, right out of society
And, I'd hardly be trying to do it quietly

I don't care if you mind
I don't mind if you care
That I don't honor the gun
Like the rocket's red glare

My draw might not be the fastest in town
My fame is hardly known all around
But in a fight between a pedigree dog and a mutt
I'd knock the gun right on its butt

No comments:

Post a Comment