Monday, June 9, 2014

Why Don't We Believe in the Free Market When it Comes to Electricity?

   I'm scratching my head as to why we don't have a free market energy system. Please tell me, tell me again. Why can't I buy a little electricity from one company, and a little more from another.
   The free market, we've always believed it it. Why don't we when it comes to power?
   The power lines could be shared, either owned as a government utility, or, perhaps better, owned as a joint venture by the competing power companies. Obviously, we couldn't have each company running its own lines.
   If I wanted to buy wind farm electricity, I could. If I wanted to buy electricity from a plant in Delta, I could. Maybe there would even be two competing companies getting their power from the Delta plant.
   Whatever is wrong with competition? Perhaps it would help to keep prices low. So, can anybody tell me why we don't believe in the free market when it comes to electricity?

No comments:

Post a Comment