Sunday, April 5, 2020

Could We Spare Patients of Coronavirus Spread While in the Hospitals?

  Word reaches me of a health official in Italy, and of how he said one of their mistakes was to house the COVID-19 patients with other patients, of of how they should have had hospitals dedicated just to those with the coronavirus.
   I hear of nursing homes, where the virus spreads.
   I wonder at our air conditioning/heating systems, and wonder if they might take the germs from one room to another. Yes, hospitals and such have HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filters that remove the virus particulate from the air. But, do those air systems first carry the air from one room to the next? To work, the air would have to be filtered before it goes to the next room. I would guess this probably is what is being done. When the air leaves each room, it is not shot into the next room, but is piped directly to the HEPA filter.
   So, what is going wrong? Is air circulating through the open doors from one room to another? Is the air in the room being carried from the patients right passed the mouths and noses and faces of the care-center workers before being carried to the exit vent?
   I think of my own visit to a hospital room of late, and of how I was a little observant of the air system. I did not detect any air currents at all. Now, currents, to work, would have to take the air away as one person emitted it and before it passed to the others in the room workers in the room. But, if I felt no current, at all? Surely, it would seem, virus particles were being left to hang in the air.
   There's a lot I don't know, perhaps. Obviously, I being unlearned in such matters might be missing something. But, from all that I can see, we have much room for improvement in our air circulation systems. So much so that it seems lives are surely being lost because our systems are faulty, and if we were to correct them, we would save thousands and perhaps tens of thousands of lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment