Sunday, April 5, 2020

In Our Day, the Love Between Americans has Waxed Cold

   The meme put rouge on Mitch McConnell's cheeks, gave him long eye-brows, and, off  course, lipstick.
   "B---- McConnell," it pronounced.
   "Pretty mean-spirited post. Is this necessary?" I found myself writing.
   Then, "There is no good reason for a post such as this. If you were to say he did something wrong, and suggest he shouldn't have, that is one thing. But a post that only shows hate? Why?"
  Then,  "We live in a day when people are vile, when they have no natural affections. As that phrase comes to mind, and I write it, I reflect on how there might be a New Testament prophecy of the last days that suggests people would have no natural affections. I might try to find it."
   I find it, and note it is 2 Timothy 3:1-3. I don't quote it, but it says, "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, despisers of those that are good."
  And, I find in Matthew 24: "And then shall many be offended (and I think of how those on each side of the political arena are easily and greatly offended by each other), and shall hate one another. . . . And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold."
   I do not know that those scriptures were referring to the monumental struggle between conservatives and liberals in our day. But, I can see how there is a definite likeness.

No comments:

Post a Comment