Wednesday, April 15, 2020

This Could be the Cause of Many an Earthquake

Weight displacement. I would seem to me this would be perhaps the biggest factor in whether you have an earthquake. If the Great Salt Lake has less water than it did a century ago, that's less weight weighing down on the area beneath the lake. So, that portion of the techtonic plate(s) beneath the lake might rise. And, since the weight along the shoreline remains the same, there will be a bending of the plate(s).
  It makes since to me, but what do I know.
  I will say this: Look at how many earthquakes occur just inland from the seas. If the temperature of a portion of an ocean is changing -- as a result of the greenhouse effect or whatever -- the volume of water will remain basically the same, but its weight will be less.
  To me, it just makes sense. But, what do I know.


No comments:

Post a Comment