Thursday, April 23, 2020

I'm a Latecomer in this Discussion, and I Come Up with no Answer

 I watch a video of a lady being handcuffed for visiting a public park during the coronavirus. I read stories of arrests at church. We hear of protests and outrage and indignation that our rights are being assaulted.
  Do we, then -- so to speak -- free the people?
   Yesterday, Fox commentator Tucker Carlson unleashed on what is happening. The lock-down isn't working, he said. He pointed to Los Angeles County, where they thought they had had but 8,000 cases. But, antibody testing to determine who had had the virus showed 320,000 cases. The virus had spread despite the most restrictive quarantine in history, he said.
   You will know that America's figures are higher than any place on earth. Of the 191,000 deaths worldwide, 50,000 have come in the United States. That's a quarter of all the deaths counted. Oh, the discerning person will see that at least part of the reason the U.S. has so many deaths is because we are keeping better track of them. If a nation doesn't count them, there won't be a high count.
   Still, we must ask if Carlson is right.
   I think of the pastor who vowed to hold church services despite everything, and ended up dying of the coronavirus. And, I believe there have been other such examples. for one, holding Mardi Gras purportedly led to a breakout in Louisiana.
   And, we must ask if even if the lock-down is doing some good, is it constitutional? Does it violate our rights?
   These questions are being asked more by others than by me. I'm a late-comer in wading into this discussion. And, at this point, I come up with no answer.
   I will only say, I have always been against our forcefully shutting businesses down, because I do not believe in dissembling our economy. I do not believe it wise to put people out of their jobs.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment