Friday, April 3, 2020

Never in History has a Nation so Purposefully Shut Down Its Economy

   I wonder if ever in all of history, if ever so many businesses have been shut down as are being shut down now in the U.S.
   And, these are not closures coming naturally. Government is shuttering them. Government is telling them to shut down. Has ever anything anywhere on this scale taken place before?
  In all mankind's history?
  Anything even near?
  I respect COVID-19. Yes, we must make every reasonable effort to curb it, to fight it.
  But, closing down our economy? I suggest we shouldn't do this. I look at the coronavirus. I cannot but agree we should do what we can to stop it. Social distancing. Working at home when we can. Maybe the very best of face masks for everyone.
   Do what we can, but do not shutter the economy. Do not bring the livelihoods of the masses to an end. Close all but the essential businesses? Every job is essential to someone. No one's job can be tossed aside without damaging our economy. Just as everyone is important, so is everyone's job important.
   I consider we might be in the last days. While I do not know if this is a big or small part, I can see that something is happening economically that has probably never happened in the history of all the world. Whether it will help usher in other conditions may not be mine to say. But, that this is so unprecedented, and that it is happening in at least some stage of the last days, does leave me to wonder.
   The day they purposefully dissembled their economy, and left their government to pay for it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment