Friday, July 26, 2024

 
The Light of a Dead Moon

A dead moon hangs in the western sky
Blood red
In a short time it will die

I lift my canteen
Emptying the flask
And turn back to complete my task

Morning will come
So I must complete this chore
Before the wounded moon
Casts its last light upon my shore

The subservients of history
Who salute too easily
Lined up the riverside
Masses by the millions
Had been taken for a ride

My charge was to free them
My charge, to set them free
Change their hearts
So they wouldn't so easily agree

The dead moon looked down on them
Soon it was to fall
I told them to look to it for guidance
Instead of the tyrant's call

They switched their view just in time
Their eyes shifted to the moon
And as the moon crashed to earth
The spell that hung over them
Was broken, just that soon

No comments:

Post a Comment