Thursday, July 15, 2010

Bennett's Office Tied to Influence Peddling

I'm feeling for Bob Bennett. First he gets booted from the Senate not by the voters, but by political activists (convention-goers). And, now, today . . .

The New York Times today reported Countrywide Financial gave favorable loans to many senators and their staff members. Those in Bennett's office, it appears, received more loans than staff from any other senator's office.

Twelve from Bennett's office.

“I never had a Countrywide loan, and I do not pry into the affairs of my staff,” Bennett is quoted at Politico.com as saying. “I have no idea what any of the rest of them had or not.”

I love Senator Bennett. I am sorry about the way he was ousted from his seat, but since it was the buying and selling of influence taking place, and it was the influence of his office being sought -- and therefore him -- "I do not pry into the affairs of my staff," is not enough.

It would be right to pry into their affairs. In this case, their affairs were Bennett's affair as well. If somebody tries to buy your influence, it is your affair.

At the point Bennett became aware his staffers were taking the loans, he should have inquired of them. It became his concern when he learned someone was trying to buy his influence.

The Countrywide loans story is, of course, being taken up by the talk shows. I heard it on Roger Hedgecock at 630-AM.

Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., told the Senate Ethics Committee on Ethics of the the loans to senators and their offices. Countrywide gave the favorable loans as part of its VIP program, which targeted the favor of the senators.

No comments:

Post a Comment