Friday, July 2, 2010

Campaign Log: Democrats Didn't Exist?

One kindly lady listened to most of what I said, then said she just wouldn't be able to vote for me because I'm a Democrat.

That's simple enough.

A few doors later (actually, this next guy was just walking down the sidewalk), I ran into Roland Williams, whose face and demeanor make him about as likable a soul as you will find. He was of a different nature than the lady, saying he votes the person, not the party.

Roland told me back in 1958 when he first registered to vote, it seems that a person could only register as a Republican. Those were your choices: Republican or none.

I guess so many people were Republicans, it just seemed it was the only party.

Roland told me about a time he went to the polls to vote for Gerald Ford for president, and he spoke to someone who didn't know who to vote for, suggesting the name Roland Williams. He said he ended up getting five votes.

And, I spoke to a lady who applauded the idea our welfare system needs a little course correction. "The system has been abused, terribly," she said, saying she saw a lot of that while living down South.

She, though, said we need to do what we can to help people.

She told a story of how she was able to help a neighbor, a great story of service. B But for the fact his situation might not be common knowledge, I'll hold off repeating it. "I'll be the first to help my neighbor if there is something I can do to help," she said. She really got to like the individual she helped, saying he was pretty much a perfect person.

My door knocking got no further than just a portion of 475 East, just south of 7800.

No comments:

Post a Comment