Friday, September 24, 2010

Paperwork Without Cause is Tyranny

"No Taxation without representation," they said, and tossed the tea overboard. A variation of the slogan was, "Taxation without representation is tyranny."

Today, the cry should be, "Paperwork without good reason is tyranny." The government requires so much paperwork of us, especially of businesses, that it amounts to . . . well, tyranny.

I favored the E-Verify program, which helps track down undocumented workers, until I started thinking as I wrote this entry. I realized E-Verify, too, adds to the collection of paperwork required by the government.

So, I now oppose E-Verify.

My thoughts on paperwork come prompted by a release today from the Utah Taxpayers Association. The Utah Taxpayer Association release complained of new paperwork coming thanks to Obamacare. Every time a business spends more than $600 with a vendor, it has to file a 1099 -- a separate 1099 being required for each vendor.

That could add up to hundreds of 1099s -- and it adds up to a lttile bit of tyranny.

Where the idea came from and why, I do not know. How it got stuck in a health bill, I do not know.

But, I know I oppose it.

"Tell your congressman to support the Small Business Paperwork Mandate Elimination Act to repeal the hidden 1099 burden on business," says the Utah Taxpayer Association release.

And, I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment