Monday, September 20, 2010

Superintendents Need Big Pay Cuts

Yesterdays news is the news for me, the news I want to comment on.

"IS SUPERINTENDENT PAY TOO SUPER?" reads the headline of the Salt Lake Tribune, and the article give the base salary plus perks of seven school district superintendents. Jordan School District's Barry Newbold is listed at a base-plus-perks pay of $230,387. Canyon's David Doty is at $195,750.

And, it is easy to say all seven superintendents are paid much too lavishly.

I, along with many readers, I'm sure, feel that way.

But turn to an accompanying article on Page A6. "Utah superintendent pay well below national average," it says.

Now, doesn't that make your jaw drop.

I would imagine we do have some good superintendents, almost assuredly. Good individuals, good in character, and good at administering.

But, the pay is too much.

I don't buy the argument that you have to pay that much to get quality. I don't buy into the philosophy that we need to make our pay competitive with the rest of the nation.

It's too much. Way too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment