Saturday, September 25, 2010

End Partisanship by Doing Away with Parties?

I appreciate the emailed I received this afternoon. Here's both the email, and my replies. After each question, I give my answer.

So, I've started doing some research on the election this year, and your name came up. I'll try to make this short, so I'll just write a list of questions that I'd like to hear your responses to.

1. Why do you identify yourself as a democrat? You said in one blog that we need to end our something for nothing welfare system, but it seems to me, lately, that this is what the democrats are all about.

Answer: Let a person be Democrat or Republican, they still should decide each issue on its merits, as opposed to just taking the stand their party takes. I am not fond of how we divide into Republicans and Democrats, conservatives and liberals, and come out fighting. I like it that Peter Corroon selected a Republican as his lieutenant governor running mate, and that Obama reached out to Republicans after his election, suggesting less partisan politics and considering Republicans for his cabinet.
I wonder if we haven't set up a system of hate, the way we do things, with every Republican or every Democrat becoming our enemy. Of all the problems our nation has -- the economy, health care, immigration, and so forth -- partisan politics is not the least, the rancor between ideologies is not the least, and the lack of civil dialogue between them is not the least of our problems. I only half jest when I suggest we ought to take an "If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all" approach, and if the two parties can't get along, then do away with political parties. If people will not be more civil, maybe the only way to end partisan politics is to do away with political parties.

2. What, if elected, do you intend to do about illegal immigration? I agree that these people are downtrodden, and yes some are looking for a better life. But more and more are coming to this country looking to take advantage of the system. I am taxed to death by the government, and they turn around and give money to people that don't seem quite so deserving of it. I think that we need to: First, close the borders, securely. Second, like you said, put an end to the something for nothing welfare system. Third, as you also said, legalize more immigration, but how do we make sure the people coming here want to be Americans, not just Mexicans in America?

Answer: I'm with you, Brian, on securing the borders. We have a major crime problem spilling into our country. It is not something Arizona and the other southern border states, alone, experience. In the past month or two, Utah has seen at least two drug farms busted -- and Mexican nationals were suspects. Every person coming across the border should be searched. I am somewhat sure, from what I have read, that searches are only done at random. Whatever laws need to be changed to provide that everyone be searched, it should be done. And, for every person coming across, there should be a call made back to their native jurisdiction, to see if they are wanted on a crime. This, as best as I can tell, is not done, and my checking on it includes having called our immigration officials. I am not against a wall, if that's what it takes, but with the fencing we have and the number of agents we have, I confess I do not understand why we have such a problem. With the 18,000 agents, there should be a pair of them for every mile all the away across from the far side of Texas to the far side of California. Let's double or triple that, if that's what it takes, but let's secure our border against crime. (Before hiring more agents, I would want an explanation as to why the number we have are unable to cover the border.)
Legalizing immigration would help. When the migrant reaches the border, the gangs approach to help them across, pressing them into service either as human pack mules to haul the drugs across or to join their ranks and work with them as fellow criminals. No, I do not know if the Mexican nationals farming drugs here in Utah were from this category, being pressed into service, but I know that 72 migrants were massacred as they got close to crossing the border about two months ago -- and news reports indicated they had declined joining the mobs, so that is why they were killed. If we legalize immigration, the migrants will no longer be forced to join our enemy in the drug war, and there will be fewer of them sneaking across in between the border stations, smuggling drugs across, as they will be crossing at the border stations -- and knowing they can't cross with drugs. Fewer human pack mules and a whole lot less drugs. Why would we not want this? Why do we not, then, legalize more immigration? Legalizing more immigration makes sense, if it is crime you are fighting, not the immigration, itself. Legalizing immigration also would mean that when they arrive, they are playing under the same rules as you and I, as far as paying taxes for our social programs and for their education and getting jobs that are not under the table. Offering them citizenship would encourage them to want to be Americans, not just Mexicans living in America.

3. What is your position on gun rights?

Answer: The Constitution says Congress shall make no law infringing upon the right to keep and bear arms. Unless we want to amend the Constitution, we should not have any law that limits who has arms and whether they carry them with them. The Constitution also provides for property rights, and it, therefor, follows that property owners should be allowed to restrict guns being brought onto their property.

I hope you have the time to answer these questions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you,

No comments:

Post a Comment