Thursday, September 23, 2010

What Would Corroon's $10,000 Cap Achieve?

Peter Corroon is suggesting to his opponent in the governor's race, Gary Herbert, that they both return all political contributions over $10,000.

One wonders what capping donations at $10,000 will do. Isn't the concern that the candidate is taking money knowing the person giving it is someone who might approach him after the election, asking for a favor? I hope that is the concern. How does capping donations at $10,000 remedy this? Is the elected official only going to be inclined to favor those giving at least $10,000? Political contributions are wrong, period, when they come from those who will be bringing matters before the public official.

Months ago, when I decided to run for House District 41 (which stretches from Sandy to Herriman), I decided I did not feel comfortable accepting any monetary donations, at all, as I do not know who will be approaching me for legislation after the election. I'm hoping that means something to voters. -- John Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment