Friday, December 11, 2015

Gephardt Approved? The Ads Should have a Disclaimer

   I'd suggest the ads announcing that Bill Gephardt has approved a product ought to come with a note at the end of them. Something like, "Bill Gephardt is a retired consumer reporter."
   I heard one of the ads today, announcing that a product was "Gephardt approved," same as ads I have heard in the past. Trouble is, I have assumed Gephardt still reports for KUTV. Doesn't taking these ads compromise what he is doing, I thought? Isn't taking these ads kind of like buying protective insurance so he does run a negative piece on your company?
   So, I looked him up on the Internet when I got home, learning he retired a few years back, and then opened this business where he endorses companies for money, but only after he has investigated them and found them worthy of his support.
   There are probably a lot of people, like me, who suppose he is still at KUTV. Complicating things, Gephardt's son, Matt, succeeded him as KUTV's consumer reporter. So, it seems the "Gephardt Approved" advertisements should each include a disclaimer, noting he is no longer a consumer reporter.

No comments:

Post a Comment