Friday, December 25, 2015

Are We a Nation that Hates Our Leaders, and is that Healthy?

   I read a post about how more than one in four Americans think of their government as the enemy. I try to look it up, and can't find it, but find a survey showing only 19 percent feel they can trust their government always or most of the time.
   The words of a song drift through my head, the thought in it coming from the scriptures. "You'll always reap, just what you sow." And, I think of how there seems to be hardly anyone who does not verbally tear down the government, saying they don't trust politicians, etc. And, I think of the adage, plant a thought, reap an action. And, I think of my own belief, that if we verbalize something ourselves, we are more likely to believe it than if it comes from any other source.
   And, I lament.
   I am an American. I believe in America, the same as most everyone does. But, I must differ with many on what patriotism includes. I see it as more than just loving and ascribing to the Founding Fathers and the Constitution. To me, patriotism has something to do with the present, with loving our current country.
   With respecting our government in the here and now.
    I think of the constant barrage of hatred we extend our government. I think our all the snide comments about politicians. I think, yes, judging from how we speak ill of politicians (read: government), it is surprising that even 19 percent of us feel we can trust our government always or most of the time. And, I think, no, I shouldn't be surprised that more than one in four feels the government is the enemy.
   I wonder what I could do to help stop the tide. I wonder what I should say, the next time someone suggests politicians can't be trusted.
  "They're people, just like you and I -- no worse."
  "These politicians also do us a world of good, most everyone of them."
  "Well, at least we're lucky to live in a country where the politicians are generally good. In some countries, they're not. I'm grateful we have the politicians we have."
   I wonder but what I should prepare an answer for the next time someone gets mad at government for threatening a shutdown, or making us pay taxes.
   Or running up the national debt. I, myself, have ridden the government hard on that one. Should I? I can verbalize my displeasure with running up the national debt, but perhaps I should include a sentiment of understanding. Perhaps I should allow they are faced with understandable pressures.



No comments:

Post a Comment