Thursday, December 17, 2015

Of Plea Bargaining, at Least Some of it's Wrong

   I wonder at plea bargaining. I wonder. If a person is guilty, why should he not be tried? I even wonder about those who turn state's evidence. Should we let them? Or, should we simply strive to make them hostile witnesses? Should we say, No, we are not going to let you off the hook for testifying against someone else. You'll answer for your own crimes, then, if you are not honest in court when you testify about someone else's offenses, we'll come after you for perjury.
  I wonder about times when the victim does not choose to press charges. Should we let that happen? Or, should we say, A crime has been committed, and we have an obligation to seek justice and not let the person off the hook.
   These are things I wonder about. I'm not settled on a opinion on some of the matters. Others, I am. Sometimes, I think what we do it wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment