Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Love is Part of the Answer in Stopping Mass Murders

   Can I do this quick? I'll name most of the leading causes being mentioned for mass murders, and try to suggest ways to curb them. I'll have to come up with some of these solutions on the spot, and others I have already thought about.
  Radical Islam. Let us not ban Muslims from coming, and perhaps not even ban people who have been to Syria, Iraq and other countries where terrorists are operating. But, yes, let us screen all coming here for terrorist ties. I have been against how long it takes to get papers to come to the U.S., and remain so, but realize this will factor into extending our permission to come. I only say, the vetting can and should be done quickly. I think of a news story today of how our intelligence agencies determined ISIS already has infiltrated those refugees planning on coming. To me, this is an indication screening can work, at least to some degree. It's working, already, if the intelligence agencies screened out these potential terrorists.
  Mental illness. Shower community attention -- love -- on everyone with mental illness. Let us adopt it as a civic responsibility, just like voting, to be positive, enthusiastic, understanding, open, accepting, and loving of those with mental illness. If they feel accepted, they will be less inclined to lash out at society.
   Hmm. This gives me thought. We should also probably be treating all Muslims at this time with an extra dose of love. They need to know we love them. They need acceptance, not rejection. Anytime a group of people is feeling rejected, there is the possibility some of them will lash back at society.
   Likewise, we should be looking for anyone who might feel rejected by society, regardless if they fit into a social group. If we shower love on the rejected, regardless who they are, this will reduce the lash-back tendency.
   Gun accessibility. Despite all I have blogged about the dangers of guns, I am not really coming up with an answer to gun accessibility right at the moment. I do not believe in taking guns away, even though I know there are dangers in so many people having them. I guess my answer if what I have said in the past, and that it would be wise if we didn't teach each other that everyone should have a gun.
   Gun-free zones. The answer is more security guards, and more police officers. If we have reached a point where there is a need for more policing, then let us start providing it. Have security guards or police officers available everywhere where there is a gathering. I say have them "available," because if the store, or church, or group does not want that protection, it should not be forced upon them.
   Notoriety and fame. I'm not sure what the answer here is, either. Some have suggested only mentioning the name once in news stories, and after that referring to the assailant simply as "the shooter." I do not know that that would make a difference. The public still has the right to know about these murderers, and about their backgrounds, and you cannot do that without writing about them, which does give them fame. I can only say, it is obviously a negative fame. Why would people want to be thought of poorly? Some may. Some do. But, hopefully this factor is not as great as it sometimes seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment