Friday, June 25, 2010

Campaign Log: The Disabled Archer

This man once shot an arrow so true, it went right into the middle of a previously shot arrow.

I met him tonight, a once great archer, sportsman, now reduced to not even being able to mow the lawn.

He's on disability. The days of lifting case after case of shotgun shells while working for in the sportsman industry took their toll. And, perhaps worse, he has chronic diarrhea. There was a day he was a substitute teacher. "There were times I had to call a substitute to substitute for me. There were times I had an accident because you couldn't leave the classroom."

When all this was coming down, he applied for disability. Maybe he had a lousy lawyer, because for all his inabilities, he got turned down. So, he applied again, this time without a lawyer. The judge didn't like that, realizing he might qualify for disability and so the judge rescheduled the case to give him time to get a lawyer. He found one on T.V. "He (the lawyer) told them the exact same thing I would have told them," the once great archer said.

But, there was at least one difference. A witness was brought in who testified no one was going to hire this man if he had to use the bathroom every 15 minutes, and had to take so many days off.

What I don't like about this story? One thing, is it shouldn't take a lawyer to get disability if you deserve it.

How did I do with this man, as far as campaigning for his vote? "I think I'll probably vote for you," he called after me as I left.

That's a hopeful sign. After all, my door pitch says I believe people should be allowed to work for their benefits. I told the once great archer it shouldn't be oppressive work, but it should be something, even if no more than shuffling papers. I wish he would have responded that, yes, he wanted to work, but he didn't. Instead, he said he once took a job with the Red Cross, doing no more than calling folks and inviting them to come give blood.

It was too much. "I came home nearly in tears," he said, noting he can only sit for so long.

If it comes to it, give him a bed in the work place. Let him lay down when he needs to. He could even make calls from a bed, if that's what it takes to allow him to work.

If we are going to make them work, we've got to make it work for them.

Call this not letting them come up with excuses, or say it is being compassionate by allowing for their needs. Either way, getting a person working makes the person better and betters our economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment