Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Campaign Log: Look from a Law Clerk

Went back near my opponent, Todd Kiser's neighborhood, hitting Orangewood Lane and Berrywood Court, and came up with an improved door approach.

Instead of just saying, "I don't like special interest money," I explained why I don't like it. The people giving money once elected have issues come before the people they give the money to. Yes, that's wrong.

And, I should be a little more forceful than even that. Perhaps I'll work on that. Could say the system is a little corrupt, for surely that counts as a touch of corruption, at least.

Some people are not going to vote for me as a Democrat, no matter what. I asked one voter if there were any issues of interest to him. "No. But I'm hard-core Republican, anyway," he said, handing me back my campaign card.

Another person I ran into was a very thoughtful man working his way through law school as a law clerk in the attorney general's office. I believe he said he worked on the Ronnie Lee Gardner case. When I said 25 years was too long for a case to last, he said they'd like it to be 1-2 years, but when the punishment is as severe as the death penalty they want to offer the defendant every recourse available.

He didn't like that it takes so long, but he did see good reason for many of the things that can prolong such a case.

He also reminded me many in our courntry have been found to be innocent after they were executed -- a strong argument for time and caution.

I'm not sure how to craft a law reducing court trials, and I told him so, noting a law requiring prosecution of all domestic violence has created problems, since cases are presented that have no evidence that can be taken to court to support them. The law clerk, though, pointed out that even just having the case brought to court serves as a deterrent, making the defendant think twice about what he has done.

No comments:

Post a Comment