Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Campaign Log: Learning Expedition

Now, tell me that again -- Crescent View and Indian Hills middle schools have no air conditioning?

I'm shocked.

A couple on Cherry Plum Court informed me of that, whilst expressing the woes of our education system. They said more than 10,000 more students have been added, statewide, yet they come with no additional funding.

A few doors down, caught a kid who had been reading "Summer of the Monkeys." "It's an awesome book," he said. I told him I heard Crescent View doesn't have air conditioning. "That's true," he told me.

My learning expedition wasn't over, I swung around the corner and hit a door I had hit Saturday, the one who knew what the Utah Health Exchange is. He suggested health exchanges add another layer of administration, and buying insurance directly is at least 2 percent less expensive than going through the exchange.

He also knew what plagues our health system, why it is so expensive. "Where they are missing the boat is they are not addressing costs," he said. He spoke of a belt he had been offered (I guess he got it), for medical care, costing $1400. It was plastic and felt and probably worth but $25. So, the mark up was . . . 56 times that!

Also ran into the Republican precinct chair, who spared me my spill, saying he would vote for Kiser.

And, ran into a man from a family of Democrats, who indicated that as the party shifted, he changed to Republican. He felt the National Democratic Party abandoned former U.S. Representative Bill Orton, and lamented that. He, too, was a friend of Kiser.

Kiser (that would be my opponent, Todd Kiser) lives in the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment