Friday, June 25, 2010

Governor Steals My Thunder

The governor stole my thunder today.

"Guv calls appeals process too slow," says the headline of The Salt Lake Tribune. "Death Penalty >> Herbert wants system streamlined and executions expedited," it says underneath that headline

I've been pounding the doors since Curtis Allgier returned to the news. Allgier is, you may know, the accused murderer whose fame spread nationally largely for his tattoos head-to-foot. "It's been three years and that trial still hasn't taken place," I would say.

When Ronnie Lee Gardner's execution came up, I switched to that. "Twenty-five years later!" I would exclaim, my eyes popping. "Instead of just dismissing this as the way government is, we should demand it be changed."

I well thought this was an issue politicians didn't even check in on, but something that if changed, would make a wonderful difference in our government.

Well, so much for my being the only one with this message. Governor Gary Herbert has taken up this drum.

This is not the only thing I've liked about Herbert. He also called suggested the UTA boss might be making too much money. I've also liked some things his opponent, Peter Corroon, has offered, notably his selecting a Republican as his lieutenant governor running mate. That's a step against partisan politics, and I like that.

Two more thoughts on Herbert's comments. "Justice delayed is justice denied," he said. Good take, governnor.

Thought two: The Trib article notes Attorney General Mark Shurtleff had pushed for an amendment to the Utah Constitution that would limit appeals after convictions. Let's not let curbing appeals be a stopping point. Our whole judicial system is too slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment