Friday, January 1, 2016

Life Lessons from a Basketball Game

   Life lessons I learn from a basketball game. The Jazz won, 109-96, as Trey Burke scored 27 points on 12 of 19 shooting. I had given up on Trey last year. But, this year, he has been wonderful.
   I learn, Don't give up on others too quickly.
   I learn, We tend to not change our judgments of others. If we once think ill, they often cannot get to thinking good about them, regardless what they do. I think of a friend who derides Stephen Curry, and when Stephen does good, I only hear reminders of his shortcomings.
  I learn, we often overlook the potential of others. Jeff Withey blocked four shots and made 4 of 7 shots, thus continuing to perform well in the time he does get on the court. But, although I am not plugged into the sports talk shows much, I doubt he is getting the credit he deserves. He leads the team in plus-minus.
   The second of these two lesson is especially deserving. The words out of our own mouths mold our opinions more than anything anyone else might say. Once uttered, our opinion is often set, not easily to be changed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment